Encountering A Snake

Thursday, August 27, 2009 Posted by revalbertkang


Written by my own paws - Mercy

Mommy is the great advocate of taking us out for walks. Daddy only follows reluctantly because he is a home buddy. The only walking that he likes is to walk his fingers across the keyboard of his laptop. 
On one particular Saturday afternoon, there was a slight shower and so the grass was a little damp. The sun was shinning brilliantly and everything around was very colorful and full of fragrane. We heard Daddy telling Mommy that the dog's nose has more olfactory membranes than that of the human species. So, God is very fair. The humans have powerful brains but we have powerful noses. Daddy also said that if a dog is placed many miles away from its home, through the power of its sense of smell, it will be able to sniff its way home. Bow wow wow, we will never be lost.

Well, back to the story of our walk - Goodness and I were having a ball of a great time sniffing everything from plants, leaves, flowers, fruits (albeit rotten ones), insects, and other organic produce left behind by our canine friends. I made sure that I left my signature card around by spraying my unique brand of Channel No. 9. Goodness was less ambitious in leaving her mark and so she went looking for frogs and grasshoppers. There was a special grass patch that we enjoyed very much. We ate so many blades of such grass that you might think that we have turned into goats. Somehow, the grass made our stomachs feel better and eh... we also poo better. Oh, pardon me, I deviate again.

Back to the walk  - as usual, being the elder sister, I was taking the lead. Mommy was holding onto my lease while sniffed happily away. Suddenly, to my horror, a strange smell invaded and insulted my nose. A particular instinct within me sounded the alarm. It was danger in its worse expression. The subconscious reaction was to jump clear of such danger. I lept so high that Mommy was taken aback. 
Then Mommy screamed for Daddy, "Snake!"

Daddy came running with Goodness. By that time, I had put on my attack posture - just in case the snake decided to attack. 

Daddy found a long broken twig and used it to disturb the snake. Then he laughed.

"Snake skin!"

Everybody laughed. All was calm again. It was not a snake after all but its shed skin. Mommy petted me on the head to compliment me for my alertness. Goodness gave me a nudge of approval. Daddy kept saying that I was a good girl. 

Well, that was a pretty scary adventure. At least no one got hurt. Goodness and I learned that we should never meddle with snakes. Daddy and Mommy made that very clear.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails